Sunday 1 July 2012

CHEMOTHERAPY











My friend began her chemotherapy treatment on Friday 29th June. The treatment itself takes about half and hour, but there are certain procedures that need to be carried out before and after the chemotherapy itself so the whole process takes about an hour.


My friend had to take various tablets on the day to stop any sickness and is on a daily injection of 'Clexane' a blood thinning drug, as the chemotherapy treatment can cause blood clots. So what you gain can have a negative side.


At present the injection is carried out by the District nurse, but I am in the throws of learning how to give the injection. I must confess I was a little apprehensive, but carried out my first one today, Sunday 1st July under the supervision of the nurse. Hopefully in a couple of days I will be OK to be left to continue. The drug can be self administered but my friend doesn't feel she can do this herself.


So that's where we are at the moment. For the next 7 weeks my friend will be going once a week for treatment. Then there is a week break and the treatment then re-starts but not as often. Still not sure at the moment how often these treatments will be.


Will keep you updated as things evolve.

No comments:

Post a Comment