Sunday 3 June 2012

THE FIRST HOSPITAL VISIT











Driving the 26 mile journey to the nearest hospital with an on call doctor versed in such matters as jaundice, my friend was petrified and determined not to be admitted. We were to report to the Accident and Emergency department with a quickly written letter from the G.P. outlining the problem.


On arrival at A & E the place was packed. Having been assured by the G.P. that we would not have to wait once we were booked in,  we were shocked when we were told to take a seat. However the G.P. was right within 10 minutes were were called through and taken to a cubicle. 


The doctor immediately began a history and took blood samples. The shock then came when he said to my friend that she would be kept in for further tests. She was upset, I was all at sixes and sevens. We hadn't prepared for this. We hadn't taken any night attire or toiletries, so it looked like a hospital gown was the in garment for the night at least.


I waited with my friend for what seemed like ages. There wasn't a vacant bed immediately and the doctor wasn't sure when one would become available. So regrettably I had to leave my friend as I needed to travel the 26 miles back home to tend to our poor dogs who had been left bewildered some hours before. Armed with my list of things to bring at visiting time the following day, I made my way home.


At 10pm that evening, I telephoned the hospital and found that my friend was now safely albeit reluctantly, settled in a bed, on a ward, hooked up to a saline drip. 


What followed over the next 2 weeks can only be described as the most shocking and mind blowing news that could be given to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment